Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Last-Minute APUSH Review Packets

My Advanced Placement United States History (APUSH) students take their AP exam this Friday; the exam - which comprises of stimulus multiple-choice questions, short-answer prompts, a document-based question, and longer essay prompt - is the climax of the course and the culmination of many long-winded lectures, group discussions, and late-night study sessions. To briefly prep my students for the AP exam, I created a few review packets, which survey significant political, economic, social, and military events in American history. I was very proud of my APUSH students from last year, who outperformed the state and global score averages (Mr. Chanin's students who received a passing score of a "3" or above - 57%, state - 39%, global - 48%) - I also had 36 students who received a "4" and 10 students received a coveted "5". I have high expectations for this year's APUSH students, and I am very proud of their hard work/dedication. The review packets have been attached below - if you are a new APUSH teacher, you may use these for your classes, with my permission:

Pictured with Anita, one of my best U.S. History students - Anita is active in KCBY, the school's award-winning student broadcasting group, and I thoroughly enjoyed watching her creative film shorts! Author's Collections, March 2023.

Significant APUSH Dates/Documents - you do not need to know the specific dates of events in American history, yet it helps to know the story of the United States in chronological order to prepare you for the SAQs, DBQ & LEQ writing prompts. I always remind my students to "visualize" the American story in their head (i.e. a digital timeline).

APUSH Political Cartoon Review - there is going to be at least one political cartoon on the APUSH exam; I frequently give my AP students political cartoons to closely examine and analyze after each unit. This final practice sheet will give students another opportunity to scrutinize the politics of specific eras.

We Love Content! Review - APUSH students are required to know a lot of content - eras, events, people, places - ranging from Columbus to modern politics. Being familiar with the content is essential to passing the AP exam (and hopefully get a "4" or a "5"). I usually give groups of students time to recall this content (without looking at their notes) and attempt to complete the worksheet - what can they remember from the Colonial Era?! A class discussion follows the worksheet, where I usually have groups share their findings with other groups.

APUSH Political, Social, Judicial Review - once again, students need to be familiar with the content - the large review packet here contains significant Supreme Court cases, military conflicts, rebellions, land acquisitions, government crises, major political parties, among other concepts... don't we just love all this content?!

GODD LUCK on your APUSH exam on Friday, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment