Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Additional Teacher Resources - US History

By popular demand, I am sharing additional resources for U.S. History teachers, found below. All of my assignments and activities are student-led, have academic purpose, and require a certain degree of critical thinking. If you are a US History teacher, feel free to use these resources during your lesson planning:

At the start of the 2022-2023, my principal included a photograph of me in her weekly newsletter - I felt honored and, despite how tired I am, am still incredibly blessed to work in a pleasant environment with a supportive network of administrators, veteran teachers, and talented students. Author's Collections.

Muckrakers Worksheet - I usually use this worksheet after a lecture on the Progressive Era Muckrakers. Students read brief biographies on Ida Tarbell, Lincoln Steffens, and Upton Sinclair, among others, and apply their new knowledge on significant reformers to answer several questions. Originally found on the Teachers Pay Teachers website.

Analyzing Booker T. Washington v. W.E.B. DuBois - this is another worksheet that I found online; this assignment gives students an opportunity to look further into the lives of two radically-opposed giants of the early African American Civil Rights Movements (in the Gilded Age/Progressive Era), Washington and DuBois. Additionally, I enjoy discussing with my students the connections to this early crusade with the later movement we see in the 1950s/1960s with MLK Jr. and Malcolm X.

America: The Story Of Us, Heartland - worksheet that is completed by students as they watch this episode of the America: The Story Of Us documentary - this video offers a fantastic survey of westward expansion and industrial boom after the Civil War (commonly known to historians as the Gilded Age).

America: The Story Of Us, Cities - worksheet that is completed by students as they watch this episode of the America: The Story Of Us documentary - this video offers a superb introduction to the Progressive Age, including the Titans of Industry and immigration. I remember watching this fascinating series in my 5th grade classes at Denton Creek Elementary and falling in love with American history - I persuaded my parents to buy me the DVD box set... I am a history nerd! My students also thoroughly enjoy these videos!

Study Of The Titanic/Social Classes - my wife and I are Titanic nerds, and immediately booked our movie tickets when James Cameron announced he was re-releasing his 1997 blockbuster in theaters in 3D/4K - and it was fantastic! The movie's score always gives me goosebumps! Since my APUSH were studying the Gilded Age at the time of the film's re-release, I decided it would be a great idea for us to examine the social class hierarchy on the RMS Titanic. My students watched various clips from the movie, comparing the dress, mannerisms, and customs of both Rose and Jacks' worlds - small group discussions followed.

USA Imperialism Graphic Organizer - this may be completed by students after a lecture on the Spanish-American War and U.S. Imperialism; the worksheet encourages students to understand the big ideas and factors that motivated America to create their own mini empire in the early twentieth century.

Flappers Video Notes - when time permits, I usually show an old, yet interesting documentary on the 1920s flappers and task my students to take video notes; I discuss the evolution of American women dress, mannerisms, and sexuality during the 1920s lectures, and this video is an appropriate resource to show in class that surveys this episode of major societal change.

Major Modern Events Worksheet - since time catches up on us at the end of the academic year, I usually do not have adequate time to discuss the events at the start of the 21st century in detail; therefore, my class and I have a productive yet brief discussion on major modern events (2000 presidential election, 9/11, Iraq invasion, Hurricane Katrina, and the 2008 presidential election - i.e. significant events in George W. Bush and Barack Obama's presidencies). During the discussion, I assign my students this worksheet to fill out.

No comments:

Post a Comment