Monday, October 24, 2022

Podcast Interview & The Queen in Texas

Hello, again! I have yet to blog during the start of this academic year since I have been very busy with grading papers, writing college recommendation letters, and planning engaging lessons for my U.S. history students. I recently was interviewed by Zane Porter, associate principal at Coppell High School, and discussed my lesson planning methods and how I consistently provide different learning/assignment options to my students (I enjoy giving my students choices on how to learn the material, where they also are able to further develop their strengths). The interview is on the high school's Cowboy Fight podcast (link to Spotify is below). I had a fantastic time laughing with a jolly colleague and talking about my passion for education and love for Coppell High School! Thank you, Mr. Porter!

"Building Engaging Lessons and Providing Choices and Options" Podcast w/ Mr. Chanin (Oct. 12, link)

Also, I wrote a small piece about the Queen's passing in the widely-read North Texas E-News Magazine. Like many others around the world, I was shocked and saddened by the death of the beloved Queen Elizabeth II on September 8, 2022. I had long considered the Queen an icon for Britain and the modern world. This was a life-changing event (and history!). In the brief article, I detail the Queen's 1991 visit to Texas, where she and husband Prince Philip dined with Lady Bird Johnson, enjoyed a barge ride on the pleasant River Walk in San Antonio, and knighted Cecil Howard Green, the British-born founder of Texas Instruments. Interesting fact: King Charles III stopped in Texas in 1986 and embraced our state's famously colossal culture by cutting into a 45-ton birthday cake with a Texas-sized sword (he was the Prince of Wales at this time). Everything is bigger in Texas... and it's true! The article was published on the front page on September 27, 2022, and is linked to this blog post.

"The Queen's Stamp of Approval: Texas Edition" (North Texas E-News article link)

At the start of September, I was chosen as the "Lariette Teacher of the Week". The Lariettes are Coppell High's award-winning dance team and are a fantastic group of talented student-athletes. They are amazing! I love my job!! (photograph from author's collections)

More blog posts will be published in the near future, including my Boston adventures (summer 2022), scholarly endeavors (& research), and classroom undertakings (APUSH projects, etc.)...

At the end of the 2021-2022 academic year, three of my students gave me a framed portrait of Her Majesty The Queen... the same three students recently presented me a portrait of His Majesty King Charles III when the Queen died. I currently have a "shrine" dedicated to the late Queen in my classroom. Thank you, Shereef, Riva & Aditya! (photograph from author's collections)

No comments:

Post a Comment