Sunday, July 10, 2022

History of Coppell Article

I recently had an article published in the Texas Escapes Magazine, an online journal that explores towns, historical characters, and cultures in Texas. This is the fifth article I have written for Texas Escapes, and I am immensely grateful to editor Kate for her tremendous support and patience - I have penned articles on Wesley and Burleson Jr. Colleges in Greenville, Whitley Hall at A&M-Commerce, as well as a in-depth study of Hell's Half Acre in Forth Worth. The most recent piece focused on the history of Coppell, a DFW suburb that holds a special place in my heart (and, coincidently, has a vibrant past!). Instead of writing an ordinary survey of the city, I approached this project with a twist - a history of Coppell mixed with some of my favorite memories as a Coppell teenager. My hope is that the reader will acknowledge that Coppell is a drastically-changing community as well as an oasis where memorable vignettes are created... consider this article to be my "love letter" to Coppell (Coppell gave me many unique opportunities to grow into a well-behaved gentleman, and one day, I would like my kids to grow up in Coppell). I thoroughly enjoyed researching this article (which included glancing at hundreds of black-and-white photographs and city council documents, in addition to reflecting back on my own past), and my excitement in writing about a community I love definitely resonates in my penmanship. The Texas Escapes article link is found below. I have moved houses, spent time with my wife and family, been on vacations, rested, begun writing a piece on Liz Carpenter for a upcoming conference, and recollected my fond memories from the previous school year during the summer break - I will be writing more blog posts before the start of the 2022-2023 year in the middle of August (including a 2021-2022 APUSH reflection).

What Makes Coppell, Texas Special? Recollections & History article (click on link) 

Enjoying a scrumptious breakfast at the Local Diner, a hotspot in Coppell. I regularly ate at this 1950s-style establishment during high school with the swim team, and recently introduced my wife to its tasty bites. I will continue to love Coppell, and am incredibly blessed to work in such a great school district! (Author's Collections)

No comments:

Post a Comment