Tuesday, February 22, 2022

FQM Donut Dollies Article

I recently had the opportunity to write about women volunteers on the front lines during WWI & WWII. The Donut Dollies were Salvation Army and Red Cross volunteers who provided sweet treats and good, 'ole company to the American soldiers. The Dollies also introduced the sugary, delicious treat known as the doughnut to a new audience (common enlistees and French villagers). I am very happy to shed light on these forgotten heroes in American military history; the article was published in the online edition of the French Quarter Magazine, which is edited by my friend Isabelle Karamooz. This is my fifth article that I have penned for the online FQM. Since I am discussing the 'Great War' in my AP United States history classes this week, I intend to show my article and introduce my high school scholars to the Donut Dollies. Check out the article below (digital link).

Donut Dollies FQM Article

Salvation Army volunteer Helen Purviance provided a delicious, sweet slice of comfort to American soldiers on the front lines during WWI (since the conditions in the trenches were horrible, the young lads in uniform loved the treats). She created the iconic doughnut circular mold in 1917. Author's collections

Additionally, I received my United States citizenship! After a tedious, yet rewarding process, I aced the American history/government test and took the oath to officially become a US citizen. I am glad (and relieved) that I am now able to exercise my political freedoms at the voting booth and proudly wave the 'Stars & Stripes'! God bless these United States!

I am now a USA citizen! I brought along my personal copy of the Constitution to the immigration center, where I swore my oath of allegiance. Wooooo! Author's collections.

No comments:

Post a Comment