Saturday, December 4, 2021

CHS Sidekick Teacher of the Week

I was recently bestowed the honor of 'Teacher of the Week' by the student newspaper at Coppell High School, The Sidekick. The article is found below. I am blessed to have a fantastic job at one of the top-rated high schools in the state; my students are amazing, talented and eager to learn all areas of American history. Moreover, I have a supportive administration and APUSH team that always push me to do my best every day. I enjoy discussing my passion (history stories - including those not mentioned in the textbook: did you know that Andrew Jackson had a 'cheese-themed' party on the night of his 1828 inauguration?!) and giving students the unique opportunities to grow academically, socially, and professionally. I humbly accepted the honor with a bright smile and a tear (knowing that I am changing their lives one day at a time), and will continue to challenge and nurture the students in my classroom. As the first-half of the academic year winds down (winter break is in two weeks), I will reflect upon my classroom performance thus far over the vacation and recharge my batteries before the New Year. I am excited to see what 2022 has in store for my students and I!

Sidekick article (written by Yaamini Jois, who did an excellent job!): 

https://coppellstudentmedia.com/108823/uncategorized/teacher-of-the-week-chanin-teaching-at-chs-after-graduation-from-new-tech/ 

I feel at home in my classroom (my living-history time machine). I will continue to challenge and support my students in their academic and extra-curricular endeavors. Nandini, one of my APUSH students, took the photographs of my lecture - she is a wonderful photographer!

A flattering pose of me discussing the consequences of the Mexican-American War (1846-1848). I strive to bring cheeriness and energy to my lectures and lessons, which initiates students' excitement for learning and discovering new segments in American history.

I often flap my arms and move around the classroom when I teach so the lecture feels more fluid (and not stagnant/boring). 

I love watching my student-athletes compete on the field or in the swimming pool (these competitions remind me of my good 'ole swimming days at Coppell High). I recently watched the TISCA swim meet prior to Thanksgiving (some of the state's fastest swimmers compete at this level). One of my APUSH students, Nathan, clipped the school's 100 fly record in 51 seconds - very fast! I was there, cheering him on and nearly losing my voice in the process! I would later tell him that my brother once held that record... how time change... I am very proud of him, and intend to support my swimmers at Districts in January.
I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Coppell High choir's winter concert. My voice students are soaked in talent; the singing was phenomenal (I especially loved the 'Carol of the Bells' performance!). 
On a chilly night at the end of October, my wife and I watched the Coppell High band's final performance of 'Carousel' before the group headed to state. The band would place 5th in the competition. I am still incredibly proud of my band students - they practice very hard and have bright futures ahead of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment