Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Blessed to have been an 'Honorary Lion'

On Friday, July 30, 2021, I departed A&M-Commerce. I had been blessed to mentor, teach, and inspire hundreds of young students at TAMUC as an adjunct history professor and a residence hall community director. I will fondly remember the happy memories I had in Commerce, and will keep in touch with the staff, faculty, and scholars I collaborated with (I lived in Commerce for three years!). Now, another door opens, and I am giddy and thoroughly excited to start a full-time teaching career at Coppell High (my 'ole stomping grounds!). Below are a few photographs I took on my last day of work at TAMUC.

#MeInCISD- picking up my technology and teacher ID at the Coppell ISD building, July 2021. TAMUC will continue to hold a special place in my heart (the campus was beautiful, students were phenomenal scholars, and the institution gave me an opportunity to teach and work in student housing), yet I am very excited to see what is next in store for me at Coppell High School!!
Our last photograph in the Prairie Crossing CD apartment. My wife and I are very excited to start our married life in Coppell!
My wife and I enjoyed feeding one of the stray cats at PC. We named him Domino. He was a good boy!
Residents at Prairie Crossing have the unique luxury of parking their vehicles in an enclosed parking garage. During my time at PC's community director, I collaborated with facilities and the Honors College staff to upgrade the complex's security system. The $1 million upgrade included a garage gate, new security cameras, and swipe-access gates at all the entrances and exits. I also oversaw the completion of a study space/conference room for the Honors College students.
Another angle of the swimming pool at PC. Prairie Crossing was home to a lot of wildlife, including birds on the 4th floor. I labeled PC as 'the mini jungle.'
My Resident Assistants and Desk Assistants (student staff) worked at the PC Front Desk every day. We assisted residents with roommate/housing/facility concerns, and provided every resident with a key to their room. Superior customer service was important in our mission.
I also oversaw the operations of the Women's Halls (nicknamed the F-Halls). These 6 buildings were constructed in the early 1960s; 5 of them were used by on-campus sororities. The sixth house was used by members of two Living Learning Communities (Mujeres de Accion & Sista to Sista). You can also see the Library and Professor Mayo's grave in this photograph.
I was the building manager for the Prairie Crossing Apartments at TAMUC between March 2020 and July 2021. PC houses 350 residents (most of the students are part of the Honors College). The complex has a swimming pool, games room, media room, study room, and laundry facilities.
My empty office at Prairie Crossing (this was also my faculty office). Posters and antiques once decorated the walls in this office (my bobblehead collection was a frequent discussion topic). I met with many students/residents in this office, discussing housing policies, academics, and professional goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment